Traditionally, to remove unwanted hair, our choices were shaving, waxing or laser hair removal. Each of these options requires a sacrifice, either in time, resources, damage to our skin or effects on the environment. Sugaring is a means of removing body hair anywhere on the body with smooth results that last weeks. It is not a new fad, but goes back centuries and across continents. Queen Cleopatra even used sugaring.
The average women spends 72 days, or 1,728 hours, of her lifetime shaving her legs. In the U.S. alone, 2 billion razors are thrown away each year and waxing generates an even larger amount of waste. Allergic reactions, skin irritation and pain are often common with shaving and waxing.
Sugaring is done with three simple ingredients—lemon, sugar and water—to make a paste that is used to pull out hair by the root, with surprisingly very little pain. The paste resembles a big ball of honey that is layered down over the skin and is then gently pulled off along with the hair and root. One ball is used during the treatment and it is 100 percent biodegradable.
Sugaring is eco-friendly, great for skin and a time-saving (and pain-saving) alternative to shaving or waxing. The benefits of sugaring don’t end there.
• Sugaring gently removes layers of built-up, dry, dead skin (along with the hair and root), leaving behind radiant, exfoliated, healthy skin.
• The vitamin C from the lemon helps exfoliate as well as builds tissue tone and reduces blemishes.
• When used for removing pubic or underarm hair, there is a significant reduction in odor, as hair follicles and roots trap unpleasant smells under the skin’s surface. By removing the root and follicle, this is no longer an issue.
• Hair grows much slower, softer and sparse.
• Hair does not need to grow as long between appointments, as it does for waxing—meaning more time to be smooth.
The hardest part for most potential clients is the first time grow-out of hair for two weeks, because it is breaking a long-time habit of shaving and not knowing yet that hair control really can be easy. For others, the hurdle is the fear that it is going to hurt. For those who try it, they never go back because the first treatment gives immediate, lasting results and is surprisingly a relaxing and virtually painless treatment at the same time.
No matter one’s preference for removing unwanted hair, sugaring can meet those needs, reduce discomfort and be an eco-friendly beauty solution at the same time.Sugar Me Love is located at 3640 E. Fort Lowell Rd., Tucson. Connect at SugarMeLoveTucson.com. See ad, page 12.