The Dark Side of Dental Amalgam
Many people have become aware of mercury and the dangers it may cause individuals through Dr. Oz and his program, Are Mercury Fillings Making you Sick? (DoctorOz.com/videos/toxic-teeth-are-mercury-fillings-making-you-sick-pt-3), and the many articles circulating about this important topic
According to the Toxic Teeth Organization, “Dental amalgam is a primitive filling material made of between 43 and 54 percent mercury. Amalgam fillings are commonly called “silver fillings”. Amalgam is not stable after it is implanted into human teeth; it constantly releases mercury vapor into the body. And this mercury bioaccumulates. The mercury in amalgam is a neurotoxin and is being implanted an inch from the brain. Vulnerable populations such as children, the fetuses of pregnant women, hypersensitive individuals and people with kidney impairments are known to be particularly susceptible to the neurotoxic effects of dental mercury.”
Many people report experiencing mouth disorders such as bleeding gums, foul breath, bone loss and gingivitis. Others report fatigue, headaches, joint pains, irritability, loss of memory and depression. In addition to the neurological, reproductive, and environmental harm caused by amalgam, it turns out that amalgam endangers our oral health, too.
It is well known that placing amalgam requires the removal of a significant amount of healthy tooth matter. This removal in turn weakens overall tooth structure, which increases the need for future dental work. Plus amalgam fillings, which expand and contract over time, crack teeth and create the need for still more dental work.
Replacing functional, clinically acceptable mercury “silver” fillings is a personal choice. Individuals are advised to research the science involved to make an informed choice (ToxicTeeth.org).
Medicine Wheel Dental and Wellness Center is located at 4650 W. Jojoba Dr. For more information, call 520-743-7101 or visit MedicineWheelWellness.com/safe-mercury-removal. See ad back cover.